Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Art & Fear

One of the flaws in my lifetime has been that I haven't been afraid of much. Sure I am afraid of heights and spiders, but I mean the really important stuff. I've fucked up my grades because I wasn't afraid of failure, I've disappointed a lot of people because I wasn't afraid of letting them down, and I've lost 3 jobs because I wasn't afraid of the consequences of not showing up. I've always had a sort of obsession with living in the moment and not worrying about what happens tomorrow. As bad as all of that stuff is, and as much as I know I need to start being afraid of some things. There have been a lot of good things that have come from living life the way I do. Including my ability to make art. I wouldn't say that I am the most technically sound artist, I can't draw from observation for my life, and I can't draw a perfectly straight line. I would argue though that art is just as much about if not more about the idea as it is the technical skills. I've never been afraid of offending people, or taking stuff from other places and changing it to make it my own. I'm usually not afraid that my work isn't good enough because I would rather people look at my art and feel something deeper, rather than look at it and say "he's a good drawer". So I guess I want to be afraid in some parts of my life but I hope that I never become afraid of my own art.

No comments:

Post a Comment